Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Finally finished!



It feels like this piece has taken a very long time to paint!  I just looked back on my blog and see that I began it on November 29, exactly a month ago.  That is a long time for a painting, but considering that I was tutoring for exams and doing Christmas in the meantime, I guess it makes sense.  And really, it doesn't matter how long something takes to paint - it just matters how it looks when it is finished!

As far as that goes, I'm very pleased with how it looks.  I love the how the color of the flesh contrasts with the color of the background.  In daylight, it looks exactly how I want it do.  The flesh glows thanks to the complementary contrast.  I'm also liking the glow on the skin under the knee that's sticking out.  And I think the hands and feet turned out well.  Most of all, though, I like her presence.  Because of that, I've decided to name the piece Presence.  She has such a sturdy presence, such a clarity and sense of stability.  I love that!

The rest of the day once I finished this piece, I was very busy.  I wrote lots of emails and made phone calls working to further my art business.  I began drawing my next picture on the canvas.  And a very special thing - I photographed a new model.  It's always such an honor to photograph someone.  This woman had seen my work at Crossroads and had told me she wanted to model for me then.  It was lovely working with her as she overcame the discomfort of standing naked in front of someone she didn't know and trying to look anything but uncomfortable.  We got some wonderful photographs which I hope show how completely beautiful she is!  It's an interesting progression as the models get more comfortable in front of the camera and in front of me as they move into their own essence.  We both can feel when it happens.  It's an exciting moment!

For the model in the picture I just finished today, it was when she began sitting in the brown chair there.  Before that, the images had been interesting, but not quite right.  As soon as she pulled the chair over, bang!, the images were suddenly dynamite!  It was exhilarating!  We were in the groove!

Can't wait to get started on my new canvas!  Always an exciting adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment