Wednesday, December 2, 2009

more about Pistachio Woman

I wanted to leave the previous post alone because I think the poem is so powerful.  It was written by the model in the pastel drawing above.  She is a long time friend who has modeled for me many, many times.  She has also photographed me several times.  She is my muse in many ways, and I am completely grateful for her in my life.

For this picture, I'd asked her to come model for me just for fun way back in 2003, I think it was.  She came with props including a bag of pistachio shells.  She lay down on the blue sheet I had on the radiantly-heated floor and poured the shells all over herself.  What a great image!  She is incredibly creative.

I included the drawing in Scar Series because she has stretch marks on her belly from giving birth.  She is quite petite but had a 10 pound baby and another one whose weight I can't remember.  She earned every one of those stretch marks!

Since 2003, this model has gone on to become a poet of national renown, so I feel very honored to have one of her poems written about this piece.  Em Ennar is a pen name, by the way, so you won't find it if you Google it.

I am so blessed by all the generous people in my life who have modeled for me and made my artwork possible.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment