Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Feeling a little bit blue today.  I'll be cooking a ham, mashed potatoes and broccoli casserole later today for my sons and husband.  Small dinner for just the four of us.  I'm missing my daughter and extended family.  We had breakfast with my stepson.  I'm working on drawing a new picture on a large, 60"x40", canvas, but my heart isn't in it.  It's so strange to be at home, mostly alone on Thanksgiving.  I've spent Thanksgiving Day entirely alone before, by choice, before I was re-married.  I gave myself a lot of love that day and wrote letters of gratitude to all my friends.  It was a lovely day.  Being home with family here but with them preoccupied is a different matter.  It leaves me feeling lonely, even though most days I'd be perfectly happy and content to be in the studio with nothing I had to do.  It's odd what expectations add to/subtract from a day.  Disappointment looms when it could otherwise be a perfectly wonderful day.

Tomorrow will be brighter, I'm sure.  All the holiday expectations will be gone, and I'll just get on with it, happy as a clam to be painting all day.

(And, no, it's not snowing today, but I wanted to give a sense of our home, and these are the only pics I have of it lately - March 2009.)

No comments:

Post a Comment