Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I love boobies, and getting suspended from school for doing so

My darlin' hubby Chris found an article for me the other day about a couple of middle school kids who got suspended from middle school for wearing bracelets that say, "I love boobies!" on Breast Cancer Awareness Day.  On first hearing, it sounds absolutely ludicrous.  Of course, though, there are several sides to the story.  The bracelets had been banned a couple of days earlier because the teachers found the message offensive because the boys were going up to girls and saying, "I love your boobies!"  Folks felt the bracelets trivialize the trauma of breast cancer by using slang.  Others feel it helps younger people become more aware of it by meeting them where they're at. 

I find it a bit crazy to suspend kids from school for something which should clearly fall under the right to free speech, but I'm well aware that schools restrict many, many things these days in an attempt to help kids learn well.  It's a difficult road.

Here's the link if you want to know more:
link

2 comments:

  1. I love the bracelets, though! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Terry! I don't have a problem with the bracelets at all - just with the response to the bracelets!

    ReplyDelete