Tuesday, November 2, 2010

So much fun painting!

I had so much fun painting today, I can barely contain myself!  I finished working on my new piece which is as yet untitled - it's the one on the right.  I enriched the colors on the body because they were too pale/white and toned down the background so the designs on it wouldn't compete with the model's body.  The colors are better in person than they are on the screen - either that or I'm fooling myself and I need to go back into it the next time I get into the studio.  There's always more than can be done!

In preparing for Sacred Flesh Part II yesterday, I pulled down all the artwork I wanted to put in the show and found Dancer's Demeanor.  When I looked at it anew, after a year or so of not seeing it, I realized it just wasn't strong enough to display.  That made me want to do something about it, so today I went back into it and re-did it.  I re-painted everything - background, body, hand, hair.  It was so much fun!  I can tell that my skills have improved a lot since last year, so it was wonderful to be able to confidently take on a piece and make it so much more pleasing to my eyes.  I might end up re-working it yet again some time, but I like it better for now!  I think the skin tones are more beautiful, the light is more interesting, the contrast is more satisfying to me with the dark background, and her hand is mountains above the one I'd done before.

I won't be able to get back into the studio for a week probably - my mom is having surgery in a couple of weeks and we have an appointment to learn more about it tomorrow - then I have to tutor, and the preview and opening are taking place Thursday and Friday.  Possibly I can paint some this weekend, but I'm not sure.  It might be next Monday before I get back to this very, very fun adventure!  Hope I don't get too cranky in the meantime - that happens when I don't get to paint frequently enough - my kids will look at me and gently ask, "Mom, do you think it might be a good idea to go out to the studio and paint?  Maybe you'll feel better."  They know me well!

Adios til later!

No comments:

Post a Comment