Tuesday, January 5, 2010

10 drawings in a day

In the last pastel class last year, I talked to one of my students and encouraged her to do a lot of drawing over the holidays if she could find the time.  I told her I should do it too!  Then I told her I would  do it - then another student said she would too.  So the three of us committed to it.

Then I promptly forgot all about it!  Until 2 days ago when I realized that class will be starting tonight, and I hadn't done a single drawing.  Sure, I'd been working on art almost every day, but that wasn't our agreement!  It was that we'd each do 10 drawings.  I wish I'd done them all along, but I didn't, so yesterday I came out to the studio and started drawing!  By the end of the day, I'd done 9, but just couldn't quite finish one last one.  I did it this morning.  Whew!  So glad to have kept my commitment!  Now I'm looking forward to seeing what the other two students have done.  It's a wonderful practice, drawing each day.  I think it's like exercising.  Whatever you do on a regular basis, you get much better at.  This coming semester (starting tomorrow) I will have a free period each day when I'm not teaching.  I will take my sketch book and commit to doing at least one drawing a day during that time.  I also want to work on my book during that time, so it'll be busy, but that's OK!  I like to feel productive!

My teacher Thomas Bosket often sets crazy rules for himself to follow.  Once he decided to use only 4 colors to paint with.  I don't know how long he did that, but I think it was for well over a year.  You'd better believe he learned everything there was to know about those 4 colors and how to get everything out of them a person could get!  He inspires me to take on new projects, to try on new things, just to challenge myself and see how they feel.  Have you ever done anything like that?  I'd love to hear about it!

Here are the 10 drawings:



















OK, now I get to go paint before the day is done!  I'll be teaching tonight and want to have time to paint before then!  My new painting is calling loudly to me.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment