Monday, April 5, 2010

Sexy Fruits and Veggies

Sexy Fruits


Dear Viewer,

What could be sexier than fruits and vegetables? They’re round. They’re voluptuous. They have beautiful colors. And they taste great raw. What more can you ask? So this summer when I decided to draw a series of fruits and vegetables from Ukrops and the William Byrd Farmer’s Market, I had a real sweet time. Everyday a new treat would await me patiently on my drawing table, giving me its “come hither” glance, daring me to fondle it with my pastels, acting spoiled and oozing its juices over the table if I waited too long. I learned to come when called and to sit myself right down when Nature hearkened.

Ah, the energy! Oh, the form! Ach, what colors! Allowing themselves to be created anew by my delighted fingers in two dimensions. Lucky they were to have their youths immortalized thus since they usually became too dusty and old to be of further service after their time in the limelight.
And now I present the for you, framed and matted by my loving husband - he, too, a part of the passion. Walnut and maple and acid free mats give new glory to farmers' markets' supplies. May you experience the passion yourself - the color, the form, the beauty - each time you gaze upon the bold ripeness or subtle undulations of form, my gift to you.

Passionately yours,

Susan Singer

That was the artist statement for the show I'm currently having, Sexy Fruits and Veggies, at The Listening Room at Ashland Coffee and Tea in Ashland, VA for the month of April.  The cafe is a great place to get a cup of coffee and hang out all day or go for the evening to listen to some wonderful live music.  Petie Bogen-Garrett has turned The Listening Room wall into a lovely gallery so that patrons of this great cafe can have culinary, oral and now also visual delights.  Check if out if you're in town!


1 comment:

  1. I love fruits and vegetables. Consume a lot of them to be sexy or simply to feel like one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete