Monday, February 28, 2011

Thinspiration, an anorexia website

In doing research for my book, I found a couple of websites which have fascinating information on them.  One, "The Pro Ana Lifestyle: Thinspiration" is apparently a support blog for people who are in favor of being anorexic and who want support for losing more weight and becoming thinner.  I don't have enough information to know if it's written tongue in cheek or is actually serious.  The lists are disturbing to read.  They do seem to capture the spirit of our times in horrific ways.

The author has several lists on the site.  Here's one of them which lists why she doesn't eat:
  • Because I can
  • Because I'm the hunger artist
  • Because I want to
  • Because if I can accomplish this, I can do anything!
  • Because of all the people in my life who die of jealousy when they see the way I look
  • Because it makes me feel brand new every day!
  • Because I just won't quit
  • Because I have wanted to be this way forever
  • Because I don't have any time to waste on food
  • Because I can do anything I put my mind to
  • Because I have the willpower
  • Because it's my life
  • Because it's my choice
  • Because of my next birthday
  • Because it's me. And though I don't advise it to anyone else; I'm too thin, and I don't eat enough, and that's me, and I love it!
Here's another:

70 reasons NOT to eat!

  1. Ana [short for anorexia] sounds so much better than FATSO
  2. You'll be perfect
  3. You'll be FAT if you eat today!
  4. Starving is control, we like control!
  5. You'll look prettier
  6. Guys want you!
  7. You don't NEED food
  8. Starving is an excellent example of will power
  9. People will see your beautiful bones
  10. People will remember you as the beautiful girl
  11. Only thin people are graceful
  12. You'll be able to run faster
  13. You'll have both inner&outer beauty
  14. People who eat are selfish and unrealistic
  15. FAT people can't fit everywhere
  16. If you eat you'll look like those disgusting, fat, trash hookers
  17. FAT people are so huge, yet people look away as if they don't exist
  18. Bones are clean and pure
  19. FAT is dirty, hangs on you as a parasite
  20. Thin people look good in ALL clothes
  21. Fat people die earlier
  22. Ballerina or beanbag?
  23. Starving Anorexic girl, or Ugly mingling FAT girl?
  24. A minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips
  25. People will congratulate you on how much you've lost
  26. You'll use less soap in the shower, and save money
  27. People won't think 'what a fat cow' when they see you
  28. Skinny people get better jobs
  29. Fat people don't get leads in plays
  30. Starving works, diets don't!
  31. Food makes you fat
  32. Fatso's can't be loved
  33. People LOVE Ana's!
  34. You'll feel more energetic
  35. You'll save money on grocery bills
  36. Think as Anorexia as your secret wapen
  37. When your fat, it's like your invisible
  38. You'll look perfect on the outside
  39. You'll feel more confident and happy
  40. Thin is in
  41. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels
  42. You'll be free without the fat
  43. Everybody else will be envious
  44. Perfect body = perfect soul
  45. Have you ever seen anyone not noticing a thin girl?
  46. You'll be able to wear mini skirts, without blurry legs
  47. Friends will envy your body, and admire you
  48. Do you want to be the fattest person in town?
  49. Do you want to be Morbid Obese?
  50. You'll fit in all pretty clothes!
  51. Models are Anorexic too!
  52. You die beautiful
  53. Fat is a lazy person, Ana is control!
  54. You'll look good on pictures!
  55. You don't deserve food!
  56. You'll be able to be proud wearing a bikini!
  57. Fat people are ugly!
  58. Calories make you fat, food contains calories
  59. You'll save time by not eating
  60. The word FAT will only be used in a sarcastic way
  61. Fatso's are sooo disgusting!
  62. Fatso's are lonely because people don't want to look at them
  63. Is food more important than happiness?
  64. Food is mean and sneaky, every bite makes you FAT, UGLY, BLOATED, and UNHAPPY!
  65. You'll look like your favorite model!
  66. Fat drags you down
  67. Cell-U-Lite? Or perfection?
  68. People will be able to lift you up
  69. You'll be pure, holy and clean!
  70. Do you want your skin to look like it's going to burst because of all the fat? 

3 comments:

  1. When I was on Livejournal years ago there were a lot of journals and groups dedicated to "pro-ana". It made me sad then and it makes me sad now :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Heather said, "pro-ana" and "thinspo" sites/communities/aspirations are unfortunately very real and more common than you'd think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    The author of this blog is pro anna because she is in the thralls of her eating disorder and does not know any better. She is glorifying this behavior and has given in to the illness. There is NO positive information to be had on this type of site. It is the illness speaking not the person.

    ReplyDelete