Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Quotes to promote courage


I find it helpful to know what other people have said about courage, about failing, about injustice, etc., since I am working against injustice, trying to find courage to step up to the plate again, and working with the awareness that failure is part of the process.

Coincidentally, a friend sent me a blog post she thought I'd be interested in.  At the end of it was a series of quotes which I found very relevant to my above concerns.  I found them helpful so I'm pasting them here.  The link to the blog is at the end of the quotes in case you're interesting in exploring more.


There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
            - Elie Wiesel

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
            - Edward Abbey

You just need to be a flea against injustice. Enough committed fleas biting strategically can make even the biggest dog uncomfortable and transform even the biggest nation.
            - Marian Wright Edelman

We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
            - Elie Wiesel

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
            - Abraham Lincoln

Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.
            - Mahatma Gandhi

If I were to remain silent, I'd be guilty of complicity.
            - Albert Einstein

Who can protest an injustice, but does not, is an accomplice to the act
            - The Talmud

Urge me not to use moderation in a cause like the present. I am in earnest. I will not equivocate. I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single inch. And I will be heard.
            - William Lloyd Garrison

Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth
            - William Faulkner

It hurts to care; the courage to care is the profoundest courage there is.
            - Julia Butterfly Hill

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
            - Edmund Burke

If one is forever cautious, can one remain a human being?
            - Aleksander Solzhenitsyn

To dare - is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare - is to lose oneself.
            - Soren Kierkegaard

He who risks and fails can be forgiven. He who never risks and never fails is a failure in his whole being.
            - Paul Tillich

It is only by risking our person from one hour to another that we live at all.
            - William James



No comments:

Post a Comment