Friday, September 3, 2010

Putting together a catalogue

Whew!  What a lot of work!  And a lot of fun!

I'm working on compiling a catalogue for the show I have beginning September 30th.  The show and the catalogue are both called Sacred Flesh.  The show will be held at the Visual Art Studio  at 208 W. Broad St in Richmond from Sept 30 - November 24.  Thursday, September 30th, there will be a preview for folks who really want to study the art without lots of crowds.  Friday is First Friday, a very fun, crowded, let's-see-who's-here-kind-of-evening that has turned downtown Richmond into a safe, fun, and very cool place to be.  I'll be giving an Artist's Talk at 5:15 on the first, and several of the models plan to be there as well to discuss their experiences.

For the month of November, I'll be switching out almost all the artwork.  On November 4th, there will be another preview, and First Friday will take place again November 5th with another Artist's Talk at 5:15 that night.

If you are on my mailing list, you will get a postcard in the mail in the next week or so.  If you'd like to be on my list, you can send me an email at susansingerart@msn.com, and I'll be happy to put you on the list and send you a card about this and other events I'll be having.

The catalogue will contain almost all the paintings which will be in the show both months as well as statements by or about each of the models.  Here's an example of what'll be in the book:

When Susan asked me to model for her new series, I believe we were having dinner together with a few others. I was intrigued and flattered, and after hesitating a moment I agreed to do it with a friend. A few weeks later we set a date and went to her studio one evening. I was extremely nervous and was partially regretting my decision. My friend offered to go first, and I was relieved. She was very natural and relaxed, and her confidence helped me loosen up. I imagined that I would be nervous at first, but eventually forget that I was completely naked.
That's not exactly how it played out. I felt unsure of what to do with my body, and was constantly worrying that my poses were awkward and unattractive. The fun part came afterward, when we looked through the photos. Once I was able to view what Susan was seeing through her lens, I have to admit that I was more than pleased with what I saw. Her ability to capture grace where none existed is amazing. In the end, I felt emboldened by the experience and came away realizing that I'd like to do it again!
If you're interested in having a copy of the catalogue, you can order it until September 25th for $20.  At the show and afterwards, it will be $25.  Email me for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment